Monday, September 19, 2011

“Rescuing Identity Through Art”


Being part of the indigenous Kichwa Nation has always affected how I look at the world. The history of Native American people throughout North, Central, and South America has been forgotten or ignored by the general public. Before the arrival of Christopher Columbus in 1492, and the rest of European invasion, it’s been estimated that there existed as many as up to 100 million Native people living throughout these three continents. Until this day, children living in the 21st century are still not taught enough about the first indigenous people living in what is now called the “United States of America”.

        Therefore, for this lack of education that starts with public and private schools I wish to educate the general public about the existence on Native American Nations before, and after 1492. The project could develop into creating works that educate; with the help infographics, typography, advertising concepts, illustration and/or photography.

7 comments:

  1. Recalling how you described your concept in class, this sounds more narrowed down and to the point. Just to create a map and show who lived in this country before it was the "US" through design sounds great. What is the medium that you are planning to use? Just asking because it can also make a great project as a website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks robert, I was thinking I can keep making or working on the website I had started doing in Web Design , maybe it will be beneficial to have something like this online. Thanks for the support and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me it still sounds too broad. I can picture your map as an example, but you have done this already. Finishing a project you had started in your web class sounds like something you could do on your own if you are really invested in doing it.
    What I am missing is a clear and precise concept of a new idea. This idea can come out of a similar interest as your map, but it should be distinctively different.
    Try to make a one sentence description of your proposed project, give it a title and then explain your project further in a brief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you professor. Yes, I agree with you, now that I read my own 1st draft brief I do understand where you would say its still very broad. I am currently investigating what other Native American artists are saying about my topic, and most importantly how. Most of all I think there is a similar feeling about recognition and cultural identity by artists such as Jaune Quick-to-See Smith, and Rose Bean Simpson. I will bring some books today to class and interesting articles to further discuss with you and the class.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very interesting idea and one that seems to require a lot of research. I myself am very curious about this whole heritage. I think your greatest challenge will be to take all the information and funnel it to an audience, not dumb it down, but render it in a manageable form to not overwhelm them. Also, there seems to be several aspects of your research: time period, geography, culture, people, etc... It sounds like you want to make a print project but with all these elements is there a way of making it interactive? Perhaps something that extends to the web?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may be an old post that I am responding to, but I could not navigate this blog very well. The problem with making works regards a certain ethnic group is that it tends to only address the one group. From my understanding, you wish to educate those outside of this group. If this is so, how do you intend to make your work appealing to others? Otherwise, this project may just be for your group, who may already be aware, and for ethnographers.

    ReplyDelete