Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Artists References: Jaune Quick-to-See Smith, Diego Rivera,Oswaldo Guayasamin


For my thinking process, I thought it would be important to find what other visual artist have said about  Native American history and its people. This would help me clarify my thoughts and help me create a more personal message, a more intimate point of view. I thought it would be interesting to see what other artists from North, Central, and South America have said. I came across artists such as Jaune Quick-to-See Smith, Diego Rivera,Oswaldo Guayasamin.

Jaune Quick-to-See Smith is a Native artist from the Flathead Nation in the U.S. Diego Rivera was a Mexican Muralist artist who was married to Frida Kahlo. Oswaldo Guayasamin was an Ecuadorian painter from parents of Quichua descent. 

Personal Questions:
“What are other visual artists saying about the history of Native American indigenous people? How are they exploring it and how are they executing it through their artwork?


Sample Work:
Jaune Quick-to-See Smith
State Names

Diego Rivera
History of Mexico,
From the Conquest to the Present Day (detail) 

Oswaldo Guayasamin

These three different artists from three different continents have different artistic styles and forms of execution. However, their history relate to the same events of the past, and somehow are all talking about the same negative effects that colonization had on Native people and their future descendants.



1 comment:

  1. I like these example but my question to you is: what process have you chosen to represent your pride in your culture? What medium will you use? I know you mentioned a large scale map? but has this idea evolved etc? I know that I can sympathize with the native americans that were treated/are still treated poorly, but how might a random audience member be convinced in this... what will capture his attention and how?

    ReplyDelete