Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Compassion Assignment: "Empathy Virus" Analysis

Carl Scrase, creator of the "Empathy Virus" is an artist who "People kept telling [him] that art can't change the world; so [he] stopped calling what [he did] art...". It seems that Carl has passed through the same topics of what can be considered art.  According to the sample photos of his work, he seems to replicate what viruses look like or how they seems to make people feel. His personal project has evolved into a collaborative one because of simple reasons such as not wanting to work alone, and making his projects grow into something bigger. He is interested in working with other artists to gain a broader perspective, where he is currently working, in Australia, it seems they can gain more recognition as a whole than individually.
I am on the same process of making my personal project evolve into working with other older and more experienced teachers, the three maps uploaded before were actually given to me by a professor who works with SUNY. I will meet other individuals who seem to have an interest i my project, and work on it to attract a broader audience.


2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a collaborative work. You say that working with others might help to expand your audience. But how might it do that? Have you given any thought as to how you wish to present your concept outside of our class? Also, how might working collaboratively enhance your project? Do you have any specific ideas or problems that you think you can't tackle on your own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoni!!!!
    Thanks for the comment and questions, you have made me think outside the box, so thank you for that. First I think my work can expand into a bigger audience by numbers. The gentlemen I met by the name of Thomas O'Reilly, is a professor at one of the SUNY universities and mentioned he showed my poster to a family upstate who owns the Six Nations Museum. I was told they would love to have a copy of the poster on a bigger wall size version that visitors of the museum could enjoy and learn from.When I was speaking with Thomas he said we could work on something together with the museum, make changes, improve certain points, and look for schools that would be interested to post these maps in their classrooms. I think working with a group of people that are much older and are part of that history will help create a more accurate depiction of current population information among other things.

    I think I like the idea of eventually creating an online website with all of this information, creating pages by categories. Maybe even having a printed version of specific information just like the Museum of the American Indian does, but we will see.

    ReplyDelete